The Town Of Imperiali
Tours stopping in Francavilla Fontana
Francavilla Fontana, also called the town of the “Imperiali”, a family of feudal lords who ruled the town from the end of 16th century until the 18th century. The name Francavilla has French-Norman origins: “Franca” (tax-free) and “villa” (town). The specification Fontana (“fountain”) alludes to a vision of the Virgin Mary witnessed by Prince Filippo d’Angiò, who hence declaring the town a tax-free haven, according to the local legend.
This beautiful town offers some places to visit: the massive square Castle (Palazzo Imperiali) of the Imperiali family, the Mother Church (built from 1743 over a former Angevine construction) and the Torre dell’Orologio (watchtower), built in 1750.